The Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number is a unique identification number used in the customs territory of the European Union and assigned to an economic operator or other person by a customs authority in order to register that person for customs purposes.
The EORI number is mandatory for economic operators engaged in the importation, transit, exportation or other customs operations.
The EORI number of an economic operator established in the customs territory of the European Union shall be issued by the customs authority of the Member State where the economic operator is established. Economic operators not established in the customs territory of the Union shall be registered by the customs authority of the Member State where the economic operator is carrying out or is planning to carry out its first customs-related operation.
In Estonia, the EORI number is issued by the Tax and Customs Board.
One economic operator can have only one (valid) EORI number, and this unique number should be used in all customs-related activities on the territory of the European Union.
A branch of a company must use the EORI number of the parent company.
The traders who are engaged in foreign trade and to whom the VAT number(s) have been issued by other Member States are obliged to write these numbers in their EORI applications.
EORI number application
The EORI number can be applied for electronically by a legal representative of a legal entity in the self-service environment e-MTA, where after login, select “Customs” > “Rights and obligations” > “Economic operators registration and identification number (EORI)”.
In order to submit an application, a representative of a legal entity should have a package of access permissions named “Package for legal person's representative” or an “Accountant´s package” in the e-MTA.
If necessary, a non-resident can also submit an application for an EORI number on paper at the service place.
In the case of changes in the data and/or contact details of a person in the Commercial Register, Population Register or in the Register of Taxable Persons (non-residents), the data in the EORI system does not change automatically. The representative must update the data in the e-MTA EORI application.
- EORI numbri taotlemine Eesti ettevõtjale (1.07 MB, PDF) 19.11.2019
- Väljaspool Euroopa Liitu asuva ettevõtja EORI numbri taotlemine (925.35 KB, PDF) 19.11.2019
- EORI numbri taotlemise vormi andmeelemendid (13.73 KB, XLSX)
- Väljaspool Euroopa Liitu asuva ettevõtja EORI numbri taotlemise vorm (348.12 KB, PDF)
- Webpage of the European Commission "EORI"
- Principles of e-MTA access permissions for a legal person »
- Powers of attorney and applications for granting e-MTA access permissions »
- To non-residents »
- Information for non-residents for using the e-services of the Estonian Tax and Customs Board »
- EORI Guidance (1.39 MB, PDF)
Additional information is available by phone 880 0814 and e-mail email@example.com.