Who must file a value added tax return and its appendix?
- Persons registered as value added tax payers.
- Persons not registered as value added tax payers in the event that they have submitted an invoice or other sales document for a transaction containing a value added tax amount.
- Value added tax groups
The representative of the value added tax group will submit a value added tax return for the value added tax group and the appendix to the value added tax return must be submitted separately for each person belonging to a value added tax group (Value Added Tax Act § 26 (11)). A value added tax group is comprised of multiple companies that are registered under a single value added tax registration number and that submit a joint value added tax return. The submission of separate appendices is necessary because the persons that are part of the value added tax group issue invoices in their own names and on the basis of their commercial register number and data presented in the appendices to the value added tax return are compared according to transaction partner through the use of persons’ commercial register numbers.
- Taxable persons with limited liability must file a value added tax return but do not have to submit an appendix to the value added tax return.
- Value added tax payers under special arrangement in cash accounting for value added tax must file value added tax returns.
When must a value added tax return and its appendix be submitted?
A value added tax return and its appendix must be submitted to the Estonian Tax and Customs Board by the 20th day of the month following the taxable period (generally calendar month).
Filling in VAT return and its appendix (VAT INF)
- Instructions for filling in the appendix (form VAT INF) to the value added tax return (410.62 KB, PDF)
How and where can the value added tax return and its appendix be submitted?
At the e-Tax/e-Customs
Technical specification » (updated in February 2017)
Via X-Road by means of machine-to-machine interface
Technical specification » (updated in July 2016)
At customer service offices of the Estonian Tax and Customs Board
Before the submission of Forms VAT and VAT INF at the e-Tax Board/e-Customs, one can submit a test tax return in a testing environment. You can find more information about testing here (in Estonian).
For further information